Friday, September 2, 2011

To sushi or not to sushi...

Laredo has several options for sushi restaurants, and a couple of months ago a friend took me to a new one called Sushi Madre, she claimed they had the best 'aguachile shrimp'. To be honest I wasn't thrilled by it but, the sushi I did like! They have combos and compared to other places the food comes in good portions (for me that means you don't need a magnifying glass to find your roll) and the salad has more crab than cucumber.


This time WE were looking for lunch options and decided on Sushi Madre due to its location on Saunders and Barcelona. Being already 2.00pm we thought it would already be empty; to our surprise it was packed. (You can tell right away by the lack of parking space) The service was good and friendly. As always our attention went directly to the Combo’s menu on the wall. I ordered the Laredo and HE ordered the Monterrey (they have different rolls in the combos daily) and an order of ‘edamame’ (soy beans).


The food looks really nice, and the good thing is that it tastes as good as it looks! The roll tasted fresh and the different textures made it interesting and exciting to eat (the one I ordered had fried shrimp). Personally I like the rice that comes with the roll, but I agree with other people that say that it is not ‘sushi’ rice but more like a ‘Mexican’ yakimeshi.


Things that I like about this restaurant: The quality of the food has been consistent since opening, service is relatively fast and the portions are good.
Things that I don’t like: Limited parking space, the delivery service is not always available.




The price for our 2 person lunch: $25

Sushi Madre is located at 401 W. Saunders / Phone: (956) 726-5509




Remember to 'follow' us on Twitter @LaredoFoodie and 'like' us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment