Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chili, Beans, Texas, Mexico, & Secret Ingredients

They say the origins of Chile con Carne (Chili) date back to the 17th Century and can trace its heritage to the Canary Islands, of all places.  The first written recipes date back to the 19th Century.  So what is it about Chili that makes people guard their secret ingredients like a pack of hungry coyotes on a racoon carcass?


I was at an all-day tailgate party last weekend for the start of the College Football season in Lubbock, Texas with a friend and fellow blogger, Seth and other people I met from his blog.  We breakfasted on migas-con-huevo and later feasted on bratwursts and homemade jalapeño sausages made on our friend Doc's mammoth towed grilling rig that would make the pit masters at Food Network proud.  I brought along my award winning chili to share.  As usual I got a lot of oh’s and ah’s as people tasted my chili and again, as usual, people were quick to ask that question.  “What’s your secret ingredient?”  They ask as if they HOPE against hope that I will divulge this ONE ingredient, (chocolate, cinnamon, beer...?) NO ONE has ever though of before that will elevate their chili to heights previously unattainable by mere mortal’s chili without it.
       
This is where I don’t understand the other people that usually get asked this question.  What is the point of being so secretive?  Don’t we want ALL people to have access to good chili?  Or are we so selfish and vain as to want to control the access to chili to the degree that the only way our acquaintances can have good chili is when they are in our company?  I’m not. 


When asked, “what is your secret ingredient” I simply say, “I have none”.  When prodded further I simply tell them that the secret to good chili is not an ingredient but a ratio: a preparation technique.  My “secret” is simply to use good beef with, wait for it.....a little bit of pork.  NO, Im not talking about the bacon everyone seems to put in everything from macaroni and cheese to hamburgers.  I will tell you this.  Bacon is simply a cover up for an inferior burger.  But I digress.  Simply use pork in a 3/1 or 4/1 beef to pork ratio.  That’s the secret and I share it openly.


So my friend Jeff asks me, “So your chili recipe is based on ‘good meat’ rather than spices?”  To which I answered simply, “duh?!?!”  Isn’t it always?  I mean sure.  I have a few tips and tricks I use here and there.  Use this meat instead of that one.  Use this type of beer instead of the other.  There is still a way to keep SOME secrets.  ;)


Also, what is it about beans that makes most of us Texas Chili fans go all apoplectic at the mere mention of them?  Personally, I am a Laredoan and I LIKE beans.  Not just the pinto beans that we all grew up with but all sorts of beans.  I even like edamame(soy beans).  I recently introduced my nephew to the joys of Red Beans n Rice.  So, YES.  THIS Texan puts beans in his chili.  Personally, I like Black Beans.


Now.  My chili can actually be called “award winning”.  So I hope that can carry a little bit of “cred” there.  Sure, I have a few little tricks here and there that I use to make it extra special, but I doubt that any or all of those tricks added up can hope to equal the flavor added by my 4/1 beef to pork ratio “secret”.


Oh, and by the way...I like a little heat.  So, yes.  It’s HOT.


Ingredients
    •    1½ lb lean ground beef or turkey
    •    ½ lb lean pork sausage
    •    1½ chopped onion, medium
    •    ¾ cups chopped green onion, (about ¾ of a bunch)
    •    ¼ cup chopped chilies of your choice...preferably Serrano (optional)
    •    8 cloves of garlic...chopped fine
    •    1½ cans tomato sauce
    •    1 can crushed or diced tomatoes (or any other “chunky” form)
    •    1 small (9 oz.) can jalapeño slices (ok, you don’t have to add this either, you big baby)
    •    2 cups beans (uncooked) of your choice (or two large cans if you’re too lazy to cook your own)
    •    1 beer
    •    3-4 tbs beef or chicken bouillon granules (to match 1st ingredient)
    •    2-3 tbs chili powder
    •    1½ tsp cumin
    •    1½ tsp oregano
    •    1 tsp paprika
    •    1 tsp cayenne pepper (aw, c’mon you gotta at least leave this one in)
    •    salt & pepper to taste
    •    Tabasco or jalapeño sauce to taste...or is it too hot already?




Preparation
    I.    Brown meat in a pan and drain off fat. Set aside. If necessary, deglaze using half the beer.
    II.    Starting with fresh chilies & garlic then adding the onions, sauté everything in a big pot.  (I don’t know, big enough to hold everything)
    III.    Deglaze, if necessary, using other half of the beer and combine the two. (In the big pot, stupid!)
    IV.    Pretend you’re a mad scientist or a witch or something and add the rest of the ingredients. Oh, don’t put in the beans yet.
    V.    Simmer for about 20-30 minutes...or until you say its ready, dammit.
    VI.    Now add the beans. (after you cook them, genius) Simmer some more. (I don’t know, another 15-20 minutes.)
    VII.    Serve over white or brown rice. (yes, after its cooked too)




Tips and Tricks


To reduce the heat/spice factor, eliminate spicy ingredients in this order for more and more reduction.  Tabasco, Cayenne Powder, Can of Jalapeños, fresh chopped chiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment