Friday, October 14, 2011

Sushi, Seafood, and the Boomerang Wine Glass: Dinner at Posh Sushi Grill


Posh Sushi Express Incorporated on Urbanspoon

We LOVE Sushi! I get it from my late, Dad. My father loved seafood. Whenever I made my gumbo I always made sure to make it with plenty of crawfish because alas, poor guy was allergic to shrimp. Fate is cruel, isn’t it? My dad used to joke about growing up in Tampico, Tamaulipas and fishing for crab by dangling his toes in the water.


I keep that tradition here in Laredo, by just LOVING sushi. Is it obvious? Have you READ this blog?!?!? We’ve been a big fan of Posh Sushi for years now. We recently noticed a new location went up at in front of Gold’s Gym. So last Friday we decided to give Posh Annex a try.  At least we THINK its called Posh Annex and we’d love to give you an address but their website doesn’t provide it. It just says, “now open for your private events, Posh Annex) SHE was nice enough to wait for me to get in a good workout on a Friday night and we dropped a little past 9:00 pm. The dining room was full but the wait was minimal. We were quickly led to one of two remaining tables. We sat in the small corner off to the right and not in the main dining room which very upscale and nicely furnished. There we placed our drink and appetizer orders of a Michelada and a glass of the house Pinot Noir along with an order for a plate of the Shrimp Quesadillas. The waiter was nice enough, but it seemed he was a newcomer to our city. He obviously moved here, like so many do, thinking he was going to “practice his English”. Whenever I get one of these guys, I instinctively just switch to Spanish when I hear them struggling with their English. I hope he didn’t mind.

Once the orders were in and our drinks arrived I noticed the glass in which the wine came was smudged and dirty. I politely asked for another. I have no way to prove this but I suspect the glass that came back was simply wiped down and brought out to me. I knew I should have taken a closer look at the glass to prevent this from happening. The high amount of lint on the glass, however, was sort of a dead giveaway. The quesadillas arrived and were delicious. They have a nice spicy chipotle cream sauce and had a nice shrimp flavor. I should emphasize the choice of term, flavor. To call what came in these quesadillas shrimp would have been generous. You’ve heard of the famous oxymoron, Jumbo Shrimp. Well, this is the exact opposite. To call this shrimp, micro shrimp would have redundant to the point of being Krill. (Krill: the common name given to the order Euphausiacea of shrimp-like marine crustaceans) I’m not kidding these things were THAT small. But the Quesadillas were very tasty.

Once the second glass of wine arrived the waiter made it a point to make sure my glass was clean. A point made obvious by the fact that the glass was still warm after being pulled from the dishwasher. (Eye roll).


Our order of sushi rolls arrived and they were, as usual, perfect. HER roll was tasty and with lots of texture.  SHE ordered a Hideki roll.  MY roll was fresh and picture perfect.  Mine was the Samurai Roll.  The atmosphere was quiet and pleasant with a constant stream of Watercolors (Sirius Channel 66 Soft Jazz) playing on the in house music system as we enjoyed our rolls. I decided to order another glass of wine. This time I really had to complain as my glass tasted of dishwater. The management made it up to us by offering us a free desert of caramel crepes.


All in all I am not ANGRY with the nice people at Posh, but this sort of thing is never the kind of experience you hope for and takes such a big bite out of one’s enjoyment of an evening out.

   Find out what other diners are saying at Urban Spoon for user ratings and Reviews.
Posh Sushi Express Incorporated on Urbanspoon




Posh Sushi Del Mar Boulevard | 7019 W Village Blvd Ste 101 Laredo, TX 78041 | 956.753.POSH
We’d love to give you an address to their new location but their website doesn’t provide it. It just says, “now open for your private events, Posh Annex

2 comments:

  1. Hi LaredoFoodie ,
    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/195/1027367/restaurant/Posh-Sushi-Express-Incorporated-Laredo
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/195/6349/Laredo/Laredo-Foodie.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I've often wondered about glasses and dishware- I've seen a lot of bar tenders "clean" wine and beer glasses by literally dipping them into soapy water (not rinsing them or scrubbing them) and then wipe them down with a damp rag and then the glasses get hung up to air dry. Um. Yuck. Whenever we eat out and I get coffee, I hold it with the handle facing opposite my nose because I figure, if it's dirty, it is unlikely anyone drank from a coffee cup backwards. I seriously do- Have you seen that new sushi fusion place on McPherson? Mucho Rollo or something like that? I wonder if it is any good? :)

    ReplyDelete